Monday, March 31, 2008

My life in song...with a little help from Elvis Costello!

I was over at Zen's page recently and saw a post that really caught my interest; she, in turn, had got the idea from The Notorious J*O*E. The basic idea is that there are 25 questions, which you have to answer using the song titles in one band's/artist's/songwriter's back catalogue.
I've been through a few before coming to rest with Elvis Costello...first there was Kristin Hersh and Throwing Muses (predominantly one word titles, which made the task somewhat difficult!), then I tried Pixies, then Paul Simon, but none quite seemed to fit the bill. In the case of Mr McManus, I had a hard time whittling it down to one answer per question! Well, what were brackets invented for if not me and my verbosity?
And so, to the challenge...


1. Are you a male or female?

She.

2. Describe yourself.

Hidden Charms (decided against Worthless Thing, as it is a long time since I have been a teenager!).

3. Describe your day.

Sittin' and Thinkin'.

4. Describe where you currently live.

This Town.

5. If you could go anywhere, where would you go?

Chelsea (I Don't Want To Go To)...so, Black Sails In the Sunset methinks (less obvious than Living In Paradise!).

6. Your best friend is...

The Invisible Man.

7. Your favourite colour is...

When Green Eyes Turn Blue.

8. You know that...

Imagination Is A Powerful Deceiver.

9. What's the weather like?

The Other Side of Summer.

10. If your life was a television show, what would it be called?

The Imposter (or perhaps Everyday I Write the Book).

11. What is life to you?

This Sad Burlesque (also considered: Brilliant Mistake, Dear Sweet Filthy World, God's Comic, All This Useless Beauty and Monkey To Man).

12. What is the best advice you have to give?

Tiny Steps (although this only just won out over Peace, Love and Understanding and Don't Look Back. Or how about Put Your Big Toe In the Milk of Human Kindness?).

13. Describe your ex.

Battered Old Bird. Ha ha! No, that's cruel...how about Accidents Will Happen? Or I Hope You're Happy Now? (The latter sounds quite threatening typed here, but I intended it in a nice way, honest).

14. Your current relationship status?

No Action (I wished I could have used Getting Mighty Crowded!).

15. What's your favourite hobby?

Pretty Words (Turning the Town Red would've been a good answer, but it wouldn't really have been true).

16. When you think of your friends...

Running Out of Angels (or Lip Service).

17. What do your friends think of you?

Mouth Almighty (or perhaps even Too Far Gone).

18. What does your current love interest think of you?

Honey Are You Straight Or Are You Blind (maybe also God Give Me Strength!).

19. You always travel with?

Radio Radio.

20. The best way to end a long day?

Sleep of the Just (although Howling At the Moon, Talking In the Dark, Human Touch, Sweet Dreams, and simply Sleep could all have worked too).

21. Your occupation is?

Coal Train Robberies...well, ok, not really, but nor is it Shipbuilding or King of Thieves.

22. When you grow up, you want to?

[Have a] Seven Day Weekend! (This is, at least, less melancholic than my initially chosen title of I Want To Vanish!).

23. What does your family think of you?

Distorted Angel...or simply Big Sister.

24. Your favourite food is?

Chewing Gum.

25. You want to be remembered as?

Beyond Belief.



That was rather fun! If you would like to join in, I would love to see your choices...leave me a comment to let me know if you've had a bash at this one.

3 comments:

ZenDenizen said...

Good choice! My EC faves are Everyday I Write the Book and Only Flame in Town.

joe*to*hell said...

love that you found me! and thanks for playing. this was excellent....you did an amazing job.....

i wish i had the balls to tackle the ABCs...thats a good one.

Divinyl said...

Zen...picking favourites would be a whole new task! FAR too difficult! Although I do love Red Shoes (The Angels Wanna Wear My) and Pump It Up...soft spot for Alison too. But simply far too many to choose from to commit myself!

Joe...welcome, welcome to Ceci N'est Pas un Blog, and thank you for the fun idea! I am blushing from all the compliments ;o) As for the alphabet one...you only need to have one thing per letter...I was just being lazy and re-posting! Double dare ya!