Friday, October 26, 2007

I'm Not There - a film about a certain Mr Zimmerman (that's Bob Dylan to me and you)



I'm Not There, directed by Todd Haynes, is a film about the life of Bob Dylan.
The film is named after a Dylan song only available on bootleg albums (The Genuine Basement Tapes and A Tree With Roots). It was recorded during The Basement Tapes sessions, but was cut from the final release.
Haynes is probably best known for his 2002 film Far From Heaven (which I will admit I have not seen) and 1998's Velvet Goldmine (a let down). He was also responsible for the 1987 film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story, in which Carpenter was portrayed by Barbie dolls - Haynes was sued by Richard Carpenter and the film was removed from distribution.
Continuing with this 'arty' focus to his film-making, I'm Not There follows Dylan through seven different stages of his life, played by six different actors: Marcus Carl Franklin, Ben Whishaw, Heath Ledger, Christian Bale, Richard Gere and Cate Blanchett.
Yes, you did read that right...Cate Blanchett!
This, for me, brings to mind Todd Solondz's film Palindromes, in which the protagonist, 13 year old Aviva, was played by eight different actors of varying age, race and gender. If you haven't seen that, it's really interesting and well worth a look.
I'm Not There has already won the Grand Jury Prize at the Venice Film Festival. I can't wait to see it! Let's just hope, after such wonderful biopics as Ray and Walk The Line, that this one is worthy of the great man. The cinematography certainly looks beautiful from the trailers I have seen (below).
Also starring: Charlotte Gainsbourg, Julianne Moore and Michelle Williams.













If you want to check it out further, try Internet Movie Database (a film geek's paradise!) as a starting point.

2 comments:

Pablothehat said...

Yes this is very much on my 'need to see list!'

Having been weened on the left breast of Bob Dylan's musical milk from a bairn, (I always felt a bit like Johnny in the basement!), I feel it would only be fitting to complete my rite of passage into musical manhood LOL.

Love what you are doing with your blog..it is looking and reading great there girl!

Divinyl said...

Thanks Pablo :o)

I can't wait to see it either...I'm just worried that it's going to disappoint me. The concept is great and it looks good from the trailer, so cross fingers it isn't a load of tosh!