Saturday, December 15, 2007

She Talks To Rainbows Part 6: Dripping Indigo/In Violet Light



Excerpt from 'The Purple Hat (Beautiful Women)':

Age 3: She looks at herself and sees a Queen.
Age 8: She looks at herself and sees Cinderella.
Age 15: She looks at herself and sees an Ugly Sister (Mom, I can't go to school looking like this!)
Age 20: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly"- but decides she's going out anyway.
Age 30: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly"-but decides she doesn't have time to fix it so she's going out anyway.
Age 40: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly"-but says, "At least, I am 'clean"and goes out anyway.
Age 50: She looks at herself and sees "I am" and goes wherever she wants to go.
Age 60: She looks at herself and reminds herself of all the people who can't even see themselves in the mirror anymore. Goes out and conquers the world.
Age 70: She looks at herself & sees wisdom, laughter and ability, goes out and enjoys life.
Age 80: Doesn't bother to look. Just puts on a purple hat and goes out to have fun with the world.



Ok, so it's not actually purple that I am here to talk about...but near enough! I had completely, in my general garrulous way, forgotten to get to indigo and violet and complete my rainbow...and so here we are! I have aggregated the two, as, as I'm sure you can imagine, the lists for these two were relatively short. The entries are not purposefully obscure...I haven't heard a lot of these songs...I had a good browse through Amazon in order to beef up the lists a little!
INDIGO
Go Indigo - Indigo Dying
Indigo - Francois Feldman
Indigo - Jim Donovan
Indigo - Moloko
Indigo - Peter Gabriel
Indigo Blue - David Cullen
Indigo Blue - Hank Crawford
Indigo Blues - Llorca
Indigo Child - Cachoa
Indigo Girl - Watershed
Indigo Sky - Tom Webber
Mood Indigo - Nina Simone (/Duke Ellington and scores of others)
Moods Of Indigo - Danny Wright
Moog Indigo - Jean Jacques Perry
Mother Indigo - Terry Clarke
Night Is Indigo - Natural Calamity
Shades Of Indigo - Carol Ames
Turbulent Indigo - Joni Mitchell
VIOLET
13 Violets - Mother Superior
Seasons Of Violet - Rim Banna
Shrinking Violet - LA Guns
Shrinking Violets - Geoff Byrd
The Violet Hour - Clientele
Ultra Violet - Pascal Device
Ultra-Violet - FreeBass
Ultraviolet (Light My Way) - U2
Under A Violet Moon - Blackmore's Night
Violet - Boy In Static
Violet - Circulation
Violet - Hole
Violet - Seal
Violet - The Birthday Massacre
Violet - Violet Says
Violet 19 (The Angel's Song) - Cecelia
Violet Club Sandwich - Greenfield
Violet Flame - Henriette Kat
Violet High - Cyclefly
Violet Sauce - Namie Amuro
Violet Skies - Matt Silver
Violet Sky - Homer and Lazon
Violet Sunset - Manfred Trendel
Violets For Your Furs - Shirley Horn
Violets Of Dawn - Chad Mitchell
When Violets Meet - Soft Parade
And that's me done with this game! The rainbow is complete...but I may return at some point to cover non-rainbow colours, such as pink, purple, gold, silver, black, white etc. etc. Bored of it for now though! Altogether..."I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow toooooo".
Indigo/Violet - you're looking at it!

4 comments:

BAMBOO BLITZ said...

Impressed once again, divinyl! So here's one you can add: Sebadoh- Violet Execution....

Anonymous said...

I loved the Color Purple!

Amazing how many songs have that color in their title.

Divinyl said...

You're good at this game BB! I am impressed :o)

PP...The Color Purple is one of my very favourite books...I first read it when I was 10 and have read it every couple of years since! P.s. I haven't listed any purple songs yet! ;o)

Pablothehat said...

Yes DV, your blog is a great mine of info and insight..just what I like.
I wrote a bit of waffle regarding Alice Walker's The Color Purple, there is a link to it on my blog if you want to go all high brow LOL. Cannot say the book is a light hearted read though!
Purple Sage?..No that's a herb...er...?