Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and other Tim Burton goodies



The above picture comes from Tim Burton's 'The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories'. I love the dark humour of Tim Burton ('The Nightmare Before Christmas' is simply one of my favourite films...so inventive) and have long been a fan of his stories and animation. I am here to talk about a simply gorgeous website dedicated to the book.
The site was created by an Irish guy called Wayne and is absolutely beautiful and faithful to Burton's work, which contains such entries as 'The Boy with Nails in his Eyes', 'The Girl Who Turned into a Bed', 'Brie Boy' and 'Jimmy, The Hideous Penguin Boy'. You can buy the book, and read reviews at Amazon.
And, just to treat you, here's Mr Burton's short animation 'Vincent':






You can also check out Burton's six part series 'Stainboy' on Atom Films...he is an unusual kind of superhero (all links below open in a new window). Keep an eye out for characters from 'Oyster Boy'!:
Stainboy #3: Bowling Ball Head (my favourite of the six)

2 comments:

BAMBOO BLITZ said...

I was always a fan of Tim Burton's mainstream work but I guess I never knew about all his side projects...I checked out that link for The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and it definitely made me want to check out the book--maybe I'll put it on the good ol' Christmas list...

Divinyl said...

The website dedicated to the book is beautiful isn't it? But, as you said, and the website creator himself pointed out, it is intended to 'get the book out there'. I love Tim Burton...truly warped. Shame I can't stand Helena Bonham Carter, as he seems to put her in everything he does!