Saturday, July 5, 2008

Short Film - The Big Empty

I have just stumbled across this short film over at YouTube and I simply had to share it. I would recommend watching in full screen mode (click the little square within a square at the bottom right), as it is over 20 minutes long!

This is certainly not the usual YouTube 'talking into a webcam' fodder...in fact, both George Clooney and Steven Soderbergh were executive producers. The title refers to a girl, Alice (Selma Blair), who has nothing inside of her. She presents at the doctor's with an ache and, upon further 'exploration', is found to contain a never-ending expanse of arctic conditions.

Surreal it may be, but beautifully played. It reminded me of Being John Malkovich, which I think to be an incredible film. I have an extremely limited attention span, and I didn't look away once!

Here is the song that is used towards the end of the film...hell, the use of this song would almost be enough to sell me on its own (I'm a huge fan of the record label 4AD and have always loved this track):

Song to the Siren - This Mortal Coil

No comments: